Baking soda is one of the many household goods that is always lying around, yet we barely get any use out of it. (Cleaning and baking aren’t exactly high on our list of priorities these days.) But ever since Emma Stone told French Elle that she exfoliates her skin with the powdery white stuff, we’ve started digging deeper into different ways to add baking soda to our beauty routine.
So, we put a call-out on Twitter and Instagram asking our followers to share their best baking soda beauty tips. You’d be surprised what a little Arm & Hammer can do to improve the condition of your hair, skin and nails. (Remember: When putting any form of chemicals onto your body, you should always do a patch test to determine your skin’s sensitivity levels.) Here are 13 amazing uses for baking soda:
- Spray tan remover: “Mix it with lemon juice to exfoliate the last bit of a spray tanoff.”
- Hair and scalp clarifying shampoo: “Mix dime size amount in shampoo to clean hair.”
- Deodorant: Eliminate underarm wetness and funk by rubbing your pits with a combination of one-eighth of a teaspoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of water.
- Toothpaste and teeth whitener: “I use it once a week to whiten my teeth. Really works.”
- Detox bath: “Relive itchy, winter skin. Add 1 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup baby oil to your bath and #relax.”
- Cuticle care: Scrubbing dry, cracked cuticles with a paste made out of equal parts of baking soda and warm water will help to exfoliate dead skin cells and soften your hands.
- Acne solution: “Mix it with a little bit of water and apply it to the acne until it dry.”
“We use it to wash hair as a natural build-up remover. Clarify, condition then protect and tame with argan oil.”